Having an online business start up checklist has proven to be invaluable over the years. Used by many successful online entrepreneurs, it ensures that all the bases are covered in setting up your business. Like any other start up business venture, a business plan is required.
· You need to do your due diligence and research your business idea to determine if it will be a viable venture. In going through this process, the potential target audience for your business will also be revealed, information which will prove invaluable at the marketing stage.
· You then need to decide on the best business model for both your idea and for you as a person. The most popular business models adopted by online ventures are e-commerce, affiliate marketing, drop shipping and offering of business services.
· Once you have decided on your business model, you will then need to raise funds for your business. Included in this figure should be the cost of merchandise, cost of registering your domain name and building up of your website.
· Registration of your domain name – before you can build a website, you will first need to register a domain name. Following in the footsteps of already successful online entrepreneurs, keyword rich URLs or domain names are advisable as they are good for search engine optimisation. This step can be compared to acquiring a piece of land and getting an address assigned to it.
· Building a website – the next thing is for you to build yourself a website on your newly acquired domain. Going back to the land acquisition analogy, it is like erecting a commercial property or building on your newly acquired piece of land. You will need to employ the services of a web designer to get a professional job done. We wouldn’t want to leave anything to chance here. One way of finding a good and professional web designer is to ask your business associates and colleagues who have had jobs completed satisfactorily. Depending on the service you choose to offer, you may need to have facilities on your site for taking payments, otherwise explore the alternatives that exist. I bet your website designer will be able to offer some advice on this
· Promoting your website – on completion of your website, it is time to promote your online business. The aim here is to drive traffic to your website and eventually sell your products and services. Now, there are different ways of promoting your online business – using both paid and unpaid promotion methods. Both types of promotion methods are viable and each has their place in increasing the visibility of your business online and establishing yourself.
The online business start up checklist outlines some of the crucial steps needed for the successful launching of your online venture. Follow these steps and you will be well on your way to achieving your goals and dreams.
One of the greatest challenges facing lots of online entrepreneurs is driving traffic to their websites after all has been set up and this requires some education.