For those who own a home of their own, one of the single – greatest fears, faced, is some sort of water – related issues, and/ or, obstacles! Although, these are faced, on a somewhat – regular basis, after every storm, especially, larger ones, more and more homeowners, discover some sort of water damage, around their house! How one handles these, and, perhaps, prepares effectively, to minimize them, to, as large an extent, possible, differentiates between happy individuals, and stressed ones! This damage occurs, around a variety of areas/ locations, in, and around the house, most of which, come with ways to address them, proactively, to ensure maximum preparation and protection. With, that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, 5 specific areas, which should be thoroughly, considered and examined.
1. Roof: The reality is, every roof, no matter, how well, it was installed, and how strong the materials, etc, has a finite – useful life! Therefore, it is wise, to inspect, maintain, and take the best care of this, on a regular basis! Obviously, even then, there is a possibility of issues, related, arriving from hurricane – strength winds, and rains, so there is no absolute – guarantee! It is wise to have installed, a roof, composed of the highest grade materials, by the finest professionals!
2. Walls: How well constructed, and how is the quality, and condition, of your walls? When there is something, impacting the integrity, and consistency of, outer, and/ or, interior walls, this often leads – to, significant challenges, to its effectiveness, and ability to protect the house, against potential, water damage, etc! A smart homeowner pays attention to cracks in the foundation, exterior walls, interior ones (especially, in the basement, and, near potential entry areas, such as near the chimney, corners, etc.
3. Windows: On a regular basis, windows should be checked, to see, if they are properly sealed, especially, around the exterior components! Many tend to ignore, and/ or, take – for – granted, the structural integrity, of these, and many potential water leaks, come from these structural inconsistencies!
4. Underground streams/ water: When, there is ground water, especially, from shallow, underground streams, and/ or, other water supplies, when heavy rains, occur, especially, when the ground is, either cold, or, there is no place for the new water to go into the ground, because it is saturated, by recent rains, etc, this generally means, it will be a recurring occurrence! These must be addressed, proactively, using, French Drains, which are trenches, etc, dug, usually, around the outside walls (usually, inside the house, but, sometimes, inside), and use special types of PVC pipes, with holes, and which, lead into something, such as a sump – pump, to remove the water, as soon as the level rises,
5. Exterior ground maintenance/ work: Often, when other things, don’t fully address these types of issues, exterior work is recommended! Installing a dry well, in specific areas/ locations, improving land – grading, properly, and pitching the land, away from the house, to a properly functioning location, are some of the potential steps, some take.
Since, for most, the value of their house, represents, their single – biggest, financial asset, doesn’t it make sense, to take measures, to minimize the risk, and exposure, to water – related issues, and potential damage? If, you don’t address this, proactively, you may end – up, wishing, you did!